Cedar Lake Island
Total acreage: 44.0 acres
Conservation method: Purchase
Date acquired: 02/10/2004
The island is in a tidally influenced stretch of the Tchoutacabouffa River and is in close proximity to a Department of Marine Resource coastal preserve known as Biloxi River Marshes. This stretch of the river flows through low bluffs dominated by bottomland hardwood forest, upland oak/pine ridges, and cypress/gum ponds and bayhead swamps. This site is an important stopover for migratory birds; flocks of pelicans have been known to roost on or close to the island; osprey and great blue heron nests have been observed on the property.
In the early 1900’s, this island was a logging town; home to an operational saw mill, a church, a school, and a nightclub. Funding was awarded from the Mississippi Coastal Impact Assistance Program, administered by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality and the Harrison County Board of Supervisors.
Read more about the History of Cedar Lake Island.